I love meals that I can make ahead…bakes, casseroles, crock pot meals, etc. Basically, I love any meal that makes my life easier amidst the numerous after school activities and during the chaos that is dinner time. I also love meals that I can double and store in the fridge for a couple of days to take care of dinner a second night during the week and this is one of those meals. BAM (I just gave myself a high five)! If I’m being honest, two of my little ones are super picky eaters, so they do not like this bake as prepared. In this case, I just set aside some of the tortellini and chicken sausage prior to combining the remaining ingredients; one meal for the whole family to enjoy.
This bake can also be customized for your family: substitute any pasta for the tortellini and change up the veggies.
- 18-20 oz package of your favorite tortellini (to please everyone in this picky household, I used cheese tortellini)
- 1/2 cup steamed broccoli
- 1 package of your favorite sausage (I used spicy Italian chicken sausage), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can artichoke hearts sliced (optional)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup milk
- olive oil
- 1 – 2 tsp minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large sauce pan drizzled with olive oil, brown sausage with minced garlic
- While sausage is cooking, cook tortellini according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Once sausage is cooked through/browned, add chicken stock, milk, steamed broccoli and artichokes. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add tortellini to sausage pan and mix well.
- Transfer mixture to an oven safe baking dish
- In a separate bowl, combine panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle breadcrumb/cheese mixture on top
- Bake for 20 minutes
Note: If you made this meal ahead of time, you will need to add 10-20 minutes to the baking time to heat thoroughly.