The question has been popped and the answer was a breathless, “Yes!”
For many couples today, lightning has struck twice and this wedding won’t be their first. Often, these encore marriages mean more than just the joining of two individuals, but also the merging of children into one combined family. Capturing each new family member and showcasing their personalities in the wedding photos can make for quite a juggling act! There may be teens to handle, tweens running about excitedly, and then toddlers - who bring their own unique needs into the mix.
Fortunately, Nicole Ettenhofer, Director of Marketing for George Street Photo & Video , a national wedding photography service, shared her top tips on how best to incorporate your children into your blended family wedding photos.
1. Show Some Personality: Every family and family member has an authentic personality, and we love finding clever ways to bring them to life in their wedding photos. For example, some families may want playful photos and will use props to help showcase each family member’s individual quirks. This is especially useful (and fun!) when toddlers and younger children are involved.
2. One-On-One Time: Many parents decide to set aside some alone time with their children before the ceremony begins. Taking the time to go on a walk or have an intimate chat with your child can make them feel loved and important on such a crazy day, and always makes for stunning photographs that will last a lifetime.
3. Saying “We Do”: We love when couples incorporate their children into their wedding ceremonies, and one of the most creative ways we have seen this done included bringing them up to the altar so the couple could share their own special vows with each child and vice-versa. This sweet act acknowledged each member of the new family and allowed our photographer to capture a number of meaningful moments of the whole family during the ceremony.
4. Assign A Project: This is a thoughtful way to include children of all ages, giving them a sense of pride and ownership in the events of the day. Whether they make the final choice on their outfit or pick out a featured dance song, the images that capture your children’s pride in seeing their ideas come to life is priceless.
5. Give A Toast: How adorable for family and friends to hear, from the child’s perspective, their wishes for the new, happy couple! This is a great photo opportunity to capture a treasured moment and an unforgettable memory.