Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Stop Mom Judging

What’s The Deal With Stay At Home Moms?

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Think stay at home moms have it super easy? Think stay at home moms get to watch soap operas all day? Well, today I’m keeping it extra real and giving you the low down on the myths from being a stay at home mom.

93896d09970659a1a0a4720417cfa8c37e7f7625.jpg

Come on, when you hear “stay at home mom” what comes to mind??!! As a stay at home mom myself, I usually get comments like these, “must be nice!” “are you rich?” and the best “you must have all the time in the world”. I usually give them the side-eye, but today I am setting the record straight and debunking the myths of a stay at home mom:

Myth 1: All Stay At Home Moms Get To Watch TV, ALL DAY LONG!

The term “Stay-At-Home-Mom” indicates all we do is “stay at home,” and that is far from the truth. Call me bosslady, lunch lady, pediatrician, teacher, and driver. As a stay at home mom, I am all these things and then some and with little to no sleep.

Myth 2: All Stay At Home Mom Does Not Have A List Of To-Dos

Running errands is my life. From dropping off laundry, buying yet another box of diapers to dropping kids off to playdates is simply exhausting! Every stay-at-home mom knows that it’s impossible to get on the phone or do anything that requires much concentration when you have young kids awake at home. You’re constantly doing stuff all day-and you’re constantly interrupted. It can be overwhelming to be left a list of chores with high expectations with little to no peace and quiet.

stay-at-home-mom

Myth 3: All Stay at Home Moms Are Gym Rats

Does the yoga pants during morning drop off give it away?? I think so. In reality, yoga pants are the ultimate multi-tasking uniform for stay at home moms!

Myth 4: All Stay At Home Moms Have No Dreams or Aspirations

Many stay-at-home moms do work through volunteer and paid positions; we just do it from our homes around the family schedule. This past summer I had the opportunity to teach at a preschool. Not only was it rewarding but allowed me to introduce projects like this one.

Myth 5: All Stay At Home Moms Sleeps When The Kids Sleep

How could I sleep when I have all those to dos…refer back to myth #2

Myth 6: All Stay At Home Moms Loves Being A Stay At Home Mom

It has been 6 years since I decided on being a stay at home and in a way, staying at home is a job like any other. I have my good days and bad days, great moments and tough moments, but it’s all part of the gig.like everything in life, its not perfect. I still wonder if my life would be different if I decided to go back to my 9-5 but at the end of the day the cost of daycare or a nanny just does not add up.

Myth 7: All Stay At Home Moms Drink All Day

Come on every mom knows that drinking is reserved for when the kiddies are tucked in bed for night!

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.