Today is one of those days where I need an easy, fast meal. Between work, homework help, doctor’s appointments, haircuts for kids, and a conference call, a complicated dinner is not in the cards! This is a recipe that I love, because it’s pretty easy to pull together, my family loves it, and most importantly it freezes well, which is awesome for a day like today when I really don’t want to cook! It also utilizes our Tuesday Tip from yesterday and sneaks some extra veggies into the recipe, so I can feel good about giving my kids a healthy meal! Hope you enjoy! And feel free to share other sneaky ways that you get veggies and healthy foods into your kiddos!
Oven Baked Taquitos
1 medium yellow zucchini
2 tsp canola oil
1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp finely minced onion
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
12 6-inch corn tortillas
Canola oil cooking spray
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Shred zucchini using a box grater, and squeeze dry in paper towels
- Heat canola oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add the zucchini, ground meat, and seasonings
- Cook, stirring, until the meat is cooked through
- Spread tortillas out on a baking sheet in overlapping rows
- Bake about two minutes until hot, transfer to a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm. (important so that the corn tortillas can be rolled)
- Coat the baking sheet with cooking spray
- Working quickly, spread about 1/4 cup meat mixture and 1 tbsp cheese into a tortilla and tightly roll into a cigar shape
- Place seam side down on baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Coat the top and sides of the taquitos with cooking spray
- Bake until browned and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, or another favorite dipping sauce