Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Follow Your Dreams

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

6f1cae9997c423a14680dcfab1494cec36d1e139.png

Picture of my son Michael, in Nutley NJ during Operation Dessert Storm 1991 homecoming. Michael presently serves in the US Army.

I’m writing this on December 9, 2016 which is ‘Be Inspired Day’ and isn’t that what we want for our kids?

When they are very young, we ask, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” If the lighthearted answers of four-year-olds held true, we would have a world of singers, basketball players, and circus performers.

1.Our little kids have wonderful imaginations, no fear, and lots of time. It’s for this reason we should pay attention to what they seem to love, and respond age appropriately. A four-year-old that loves pets may someday want to become a Veterinarian. Encourage that passion by taking them to a pet store, or have them pet sit before committing to getting your own pet. As they get older, they can get a part-time job in a pet store or be a dog walker.

We could hardly wait to get up in the morning. -Wilbur and Orville Wright

2. Our kids are always watching us, so model success having a full and happy life. Don’t go on about the things you don’t have and show your kids how you’re grateful for things that really matter.

There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley, 1890-1957

3.As your children get older, encourage their active involvement in learning more about the profession they are interested in by connecting with people presently in the field, and others that left the field. The reason for this is they will hear a first hand account of the pros and cons. Finding people will be easy with Linked In and Facebook connections.

I want to use my connections with coaches, players, celebrities, whomever, and if I can take that friendship and use it to help someone else, I'm going to take advantage of that. I'm not going to apologize for that. Tim Tebow

Finally, let your children know whatever profession they choose, they are always learning.

It’s never too late to be who you might have been. -George Elliott, 1819- 1880

Best wishes for a bright future!

Tina Nocera, Founder

Parental Wisdom ®

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.