Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

Untitled

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Our daughter, Amarah, was born at 29 weeks due to IUGR. She had not been growing and was not receiving enough nutrients and oxygen. My OB realized something was wrong and immediately sent us to the city, to a hospital equipped with a wonderful NICU. There I remained on bed rest until delivery. We spent 72 anxious, dark days there, but I am so thankful for the nurses who encouraged and patiently taught us how to care for our 1 lb 12 oz miracle. From the moment she was born she's done things her own way- including only needing oxygen for 4 days! Nurses would come to her isolette and say, "I hear there's a 1 pounder on room air??"

She's now 2.5 years old, and still needs various therapies. Some days I think it'll never end, and then I look at her and see how far she's come, and I am amazed. Amazed at God's grace and protection, and amazed at how beautiful and strong she is. We're expecting our third child now (we lost our second), and each day is filled with cautious hope and anticipation. I pray for a full-term pregnancy, but if we end up in the NICU again, this time I know we can make it through.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.