Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Summer Fun

Why I'm Planning An Old School Summer

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

83060f18899fcebfe96703c0bfb683fd469f0dcb.jpg

With only one week of school left, I found myself in a bit of a conundrum. And by that I mean I was having a cow.

All three of my kids would be home all day every day!

How would I fill each of their calendars to ensure that they walk away from this aggravating heat stroke inducing season a better learner?

A better person?

A better citizen?

Was it my duty as their Mother to fill their days and nights with Pinterest-worthy activities that stimulate their brain and cardiovascular system?

I mean, look, that’s not at all how it played out back in 80’s when I was a kid and my summers were like, totally awesome.

Here's a few examples:

-I straight up ruled on my Schwinn Banana Bike. Make no mistake. I. Ruled.

-I played Capture the Flag and caught Fireflys in mason jars after dark with my friends

-I threw wicked dance parties in my den thanks to my parent’s rad Bose Stereo System (I took “Do Not Ever Touch This” as a loose suggestion)

-I monetized the crap out of my Snoopy Snow Cone Maker. Yup. I set that sucker up on top of my Grandmothers' card table and set up shop at the end of our driveway. I dared my neighbors to tell me no.

-I established myself as President of the Neighborhood and passed a law stating Brass Monkey was my theme song (I was 10...gimme a break!)

-I hung out with my Grandmother and all her old lady friends on the weekends; We had a deal: They’d buy me the adult shrimp dinner from Shoney’s, and I wouldn’t repeat any of the gossip I heard while they played Rook. I learned a lot on those weekends…

-I watched MTV and fell in love with all of the members of A-ha…and Kurt Loder

The truth is I would have been miserable if my mom had charted out all of my activities. What made my summer so tubular was that I did the planning and the execution.

Right on, 80’s Heather!

Kids don’t need a schedule or a list of 1,098 easy ways to pass the time. They need to use their imagination. They need to play outside with other kids without a parent hovering over their every move.

This summer I’m taking it back to the old school.

Sans brass monkey.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.