Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Romance After Kids

I'm Committed to Romance...#pinkypromise

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

I will surprise no one by saying my sex life with my husband has changed quite a bit since the birth of our kids. Even years later, still, sex can be the last thing on our long list of to-dos. We are both working parents and we are officially tired. But don’t get me wrong, we have a great sex life; it's just not as easy to do as it once was.

When life gets in the way, there is a lot that gets pushed to the side. Sadly that part of married life is often the first thing to slip. I readily admit that some days I can hardly muster the energy to take off my clothes and get into pajamas! On a really long day of work, practices, dinner, laundry, and bedtime; if I’m going to completely disrobe, it better be so I can step into a hot, steaming bath.

Sad but true.

My marriage is so completely worth it. Also, I'm not going down without a fight! Several weeks ago I approached my husband with an idea. We had to fully to commit to protecting at least one day a week for sex. Additional days are a total bonus but we are committing to at least one. In sickness, health, exhaustion, whatever; on that day were are going to have sex and we better be happy about it. No back-outs. No reschedules. #pinkypromise

He happily agreed and we decided on either Saturday or Sunday. (My vote was for Tuesday.)

On our second week I was ready to give up. It's hard ya'll. Saturday came and went and it was Sunday evening – do it or else! I was so tired I was ready to throw in the towel. Thankfully my husband urged me. (That was really nice, actually) “Come on, Mel. We made a commitment. Now take off your clothes.” So...I did.

I’ve heard that increasing the number of times you have sex by even one day a week will give you the same feeling as getting a huge raise. We shall see…we aren't expecting to win the lottery just a little fun money.

d860dc6eb1533b631ee01d99bc4261dd2e6c73d9.jpeg

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.