Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

Preemie Strong

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

I remember the day you were born with a lump in my throat. The tears well up in my eyes immediately when I recall walking down that dark, dreary hallway on the way to Labor & Delivery. I was 28 weeks pregnant, just a week into my maternity wardrobe, and feeling well, except for an intensifying headache and some blurry vision I had been experiencing that day. I remember the nurse telling me that I would be going in for a emergency C-section immediately, informing me that I was experiencing severe pre-eclampsia. And I can still regress back to that moment, the indescribable shock and sadness that hit me. I feared for your life, my sweet girl. I thought I would lose you, on the day you were born. But I had just bought you your first outfit, a floral dress with a lace trimmed bonnet. You were already too real, too much a part of my present and my future. With one shot of steroids to prepare your lungs, I was lead into the ER and given a spinal tap. I remember the relief that I felt hearing you cry, before even seeing your face. You were alive.. That's all that mattered at the moment, I consoled myself, as I lay on the table shivering. I took one quick look at you before you were taken away from me. It took 12 hours before I was able to see you again - a tiny doll with translucent skin and dark hair inside a plastic box. The first song that came to my head was John Legend's All of Me. I began singing it to you, my head against your isolette, tears streaming down my face. I never thought good things could come from blessings so small. The next three months were a blur of hopelessness and hopefulness, beeps and alarms, tubes and transfusions. I stayed strong for you, trying to be the mommy you deserved, while inside I was a mess of emotions.

It's been 1282 days since you were born, and I am grateful for every second of them. Every now and then, I catch myself admiring your long curls, the sound of your voice, your perseverance and determination when putting together a puzzle, the way you turn up your mouth when I don't give in to your chocolate cravings, and I remind myself how blessed I am. You are the reason why I believe in miracles.

f1fa1f500ab2219cea75b2f12d07d5357fa5ab97.jpg

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.