We all have the best intentions (well, most of us) to be prepared for a school morning. No matter how prepared you are, 99% of the time, morning routines go awry. Here are a few ways to get you back on track to get out of the door on time!
Tips for Mom: Getting ready in the morning can be a nightmare! Whether you are just heading to drop-off, going to work or running errands, you still want to look presentable. There’s often not time for a shower, blow-out & full make-up, but guess what, that’s ok! We have some ideas that will have you looking great in just a few minutes!
- Dry Shampoo – This is a magic god send product! We find the aerosol sprays to work best for us. A few sprays all around your head, run the hairdryer over your hair for 20 seconds and your hair looks like it has just been washed! I have SUPER greasy hair & this really works. I can go 2-3 days in between washes, which is supposed to be very beneficial for your hair. It works on kids too, try it! A few that we love are: Batiste Dry Shampoo, Lush No Drought Powder, & Klorane Dry Shampoo
- 60″ish” Second Hair – Yes, it’s possible! Now, that you’ve dry shampooed and your hair isn’t greasy, you are ready to style.
- Side Roll – Take a small section of one side of your hair and roll it toward the back. Use a bobby pin to secure it and, off you go!
- Top Knot- The uber popular, messy top knot! Throw a bun on top of your head, pull some pieces out to make it look not so perfect & you are ready to go!
- Curling Wand – This is the most complicated of the 3 options, but still pretty quick! Separate your hair into 4 sections and start “wanding”! Once it’s all done, run your fingers through the waves to loosen them up & run some Surf Foam through your hair. I use the Bumble & Bumble Surf Foam Spray – Bumble and Bumble Surf Foam Spray (Thanks, AB)
3. Fast makeup application- I just timed my makeup routine and am VERY impressed with myself! 1 minute, 27 seconds = DONE!
Tips For Kids: Now that you are ready to go, it’s time to get the kiddos up & out! We try to follow 2 basic strategies to keep things moving in the right direction: Make the most of the night before & establish a consistent morning routine. In a recent back to school post,we shared some additional ways to stay organized. Below are a few highlights:
- Do as much as you possibly can at night – lay out clothes for both you & the kids, pack snacks, lunches & water bottles and maybe even prep some breakfast items! Some of our PGGlets drink a smoothie every morning, and there’s no reason that can’t be made the night before and refrigerated; lidded mason jars are great for this. Saves time and dishes in the morning!
- Routines vary by family, but whatever it is, STICK TO IT. Make it a habit. As an example: Get up, get dressed, make bed,eat breakfast, brush teeth, pack bag & go! Keep it the same every.single.day.
- Set up a tooth brushing station downstairs — this way after eating, kids can brush & go quickly!
- Create a “Drop Zone” – Make an area where all things needed for the AM are placed — Line up backpacks, socks bin, shoes, your purse & whatever else needs to leave with you in the morning. Keep it by the door, grab & go!
It’s only the third week of school and we all know things could all change at any minute! This is what works now, but what works one day may not work the next! Make it an organic and evolving process, but keep it consistent so that it becomes second nature for you and the kids. Good luck & good morning!
Be sure to check out our segment on Better Connecticut to see more!
~Johanna & Monica