Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: What Do Fathers Do Best?

Ode to a dad who never, ever tires of playing with his son

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

76df3bc125fc55d5fb2ccd0f786b2a00f2b84182.jpg

My husband Michael is SOOOO good at playing with our son, Tyler. Don't get me wrong: I love playing with Tyler too. It’s just that, unlike Michael, I find it hard to stay in character for more than two hours during an elaborate “Star Wars”- or “Wild Kratts”-themed role-playing session.

These play sessions can get intense. They involve diving over couches, hiding in closets, tiptoeing down hallways and maintaining a steady stream of dialogue that cannot include mundane, real-life lines like, “I’m just going to start one load of laundry really fast, OK?”

See? That’s the sort of buzzkill line I might say. Michael never, ever steps out of character, and he always relishes the time Tyler wants to spend playing, and playing, and playing.

“This will pay big dividends later when he’s a teenager,” Michael always says. “I just know it.”

Here is a photographic tribute to Michael’s rock-star playing skills. We love you, Daddy!!!

Tyler finds himself in a tickle pickle:

Tyler finds himself in a tickle pickle.

LEGOs and camping: A great combination!

LEGOs and camping go great together!

Michael instills a love of golf in Tyler so they can spend hours and hours hanging out together as Tyler gets older:

Michael is determined to help Tyler love golf. Why? So they can spend hours and hours hanging out together as Tyler gets older.

Take me out to the ballgame:

Take me out to the ballgame!

Fun at a 5K with Stormtroopers for the Cure:

Fun times at a 5K with Stormtroopers for the Cure!

Play time ends only when Tyler needs a little bit of rest:

Play sessions end only when Tyler is ready for some rest.

Laura T. Coffey is editor of the TODAY Parenting Team and author of the best-selling non-fiction book "My Old Dog: Rescued Pets with Remarkable Second Acts." Connect with Laura on Twitter @ltcoff or at MyOldDogBook.com.

Related video:

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.