The retirement age is the time when you do not need to rush anywhere. It is the time when you can watch your favorite TV shows all day and read interesting books that you might not have had time for before. At this age, you do not have to care about how to feed your family, how to choose new furniture and new curtains etc., as all of those things your children will do for you.
Most pensioners prefer to continue living in their homes and apartments, away from relatives and friends and spending their quiet days alone. However, with age, health problems are only exacerbated, and one can never predict when the next disease or complication is going to come around. Therefore, for such people, there is another solution, which is moving to a nursing home. First, however, you need to get acquainted with all the advantages and disadvantages of living in such an institution.
Do not be afraid
For some reason, a lot of people see a nursing home as something really bad – a place where hopelessly sick people gather counting their last days. But this is not the case. In a nursery home, you will always be surrounded by people of your age, you will not be bothered by annoying children, and you will not have to prove anything to young people. Here, everyone is equal. The most important advantage is that you will be in close proximity to medical workers, and if something happens to your heart or you lose consciousness, there will always be someone to help you. In a nursing home, you have people taking care of you and making sure you are not hungry so that you could communicate with your peers, watch movies and read books.
However, there are also disadvantages, which might seem quite considerable:
• Your pension will be used to pay for accommodation and meals and you will not have your own cash;
• Since there are many elderly people, an individual approach is not something you are going to experience all that often. In comparison, your family would often be more tolerant and caring;
• You will have to have breakfast, lunch and dinner according to the schedule, so you will have to get used to that. Moreover, you cannot buy additional groceries, unless your relatives bring them;
• A nursery home is all about rules. If you skipped breakfast - you will be able to have it later, which might seem like you are living in barracks.
• You will have to tolerate the roommates. Being capricious is not going to work.
Thing you should know
Unfortunately, it is often possible to find cases when a family gets rid of old people by sending them to a nursing home. If you are a pensioner who does not want to go to a nursery home, you need to discuss this issue with a lawyer. He will be able to document your refusal preventing your relatives from placing you in a nursing home against your will. As an option, you can also opt for
elderly home care montreal thus receiving the necessary care at home.