Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Parenting Resolutions

#NewYearRealMe: I'm not going to hide from the camera anymore

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

a47109455381a9c18c2220b13dd13744ea0a185c.jpg

Happy New Year!

I hope every woman will read this post, take it to heart and take action.

I have seen so many of my Facebook friends posting about their New Year's resolutions for 2017 and the hashtag #newyearnewme is overflowing in my newsfeed. I'm excited that you are inspired to make positive changes in your life but I think you are all perfect just the way you are.

The year 2016 has been a learning year for me. It was the best year of my life with the birth of our son and one of the most challenging while I navigated life as a new working mother and coach's wife. The last six months of pregnancy and becoming a new mom took a serious toll on my self confidence. I gained nearly 70 pounds (It has taken 6 months for me to lose 40 pounds) and my hormones hijacked my skin. I now truly understand what it's like to struggle with acne and hormonal breakouts are the worst! Because of this, I refused having my picture taken several times and didn't post a family picture on Facebook until my son was 5 months-old and I was wearing makeup! I'm thankful for my friends and family that insisted on taking a million pictures anyway, even if I wouldn't let one be posted on social media.

With all of this being said, my New Year's resolution looks more like this:

#newyearrealme

My commitment for the year is to be true to myself and post as many real and raw pictures of what my life really looks like. We are all guilty of being vain at times and only posting what we think other people want to see. But what good does this do for ourselves and others?

I was recently talking to a friend who is going through her own personal struggles. She told me that she unfollowed certain friends on social media because they went out of their way to make life seem so effortless and perfect and it was tough for her to see those posts while she was going through a tough time. It really made me think... when someone has struggles in their life, how do you think these "perfect" posts make them feel? Unfortunately, the society we live in encourages this type of behavior. So, this year I'm standing up to the unrealistic expectations that society places on women. I know I'm only one person, but I am going to do my part this year to help other women feel confident in their own skin and embrace their imperfections. What will you do?

Here is my hope for women in 2017

I hope the girl struggling with self confidence posts more selfies with and without makeup.

I hope the woman struggling with infertility and infant loss shares her journey to help other women feel less alone.

I hope the experienced mom tells the new mom she understands her struggles instead of critiquing her parenting style.

I hope the grandmother who is diagnosed with cancer has the courage to tell her family and friends.

I hope the woman struggling with depression and anxiety will reach out for help and share her story.

If your hope for women in 2017 is the same as mine, please share this blog post and post a selfie of the "real you" with words of encouragement to other women. #newyearrealme

ff58bcfdb93cd2a8d9f6942bbefb601514ba152d.jpg

Our family celebrating Christian's first Christmas. This was the first candid picture of our family that I shared on social media. That was the morning I decided these moments were too special not to share.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.