Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: NICU Parenting

My First Born

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

My 1st pregnancy started off perfectly....I hit around 30 weeks and developed cholestasis and polyhydramnios....I was so swollen....my body was producing too much amniotic fluid. My water broke Thanksgiving day as I was getting ready to go to my parents for dinner. Spencer was born at 34 weeks, weighing in at 5lbs. He was in the NICU for 15 days...he couldn't eat on his own....it was the longest 15 days of my life....but he grew stronger and he kept pulling out his feeding tube, so they decided to give him a chance on his own and he did great. I will never forget the day I walked in and saw him in a regular baby bed... no tubes, no wires, and I could hold my baby without setting off an alarm....he is going to be 7 in 15 days and he is the smartest kid I know. Hardest 15 days of my life, but worth the wait. No one will ever know what it's like to leave the hospital with a still swollen belly and no baby...until you've been there

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.