Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Finding Your Village

I'm finally home

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

cfc8918f89a943bce8b52d306d50ba6bc9b4d4fa.jpg

Have you ever had a moment where you feel like you found something you didn't know you were missing?

Just me, right? Typical. Anyway....

Last night I found my home. Again.

I come from a small town in Mississippi where not much changes no matter how much time has passed. There can be negativity associated with that idea, but I choose to see the positive side because it is wonderful. No matter how much time has passed, the moment I enter the town and see someone I know - it is like nothing has changed. I am still called Kirk's granddaughter or some other family association because everyone knows everyone. There's always been a homey-ness about it. My husband and I are from the same town, so our roots run pretty deep. It's always so fun to go back to different events and see all the people that had such an impact on your life. Those people still love and support us even though we don't see them everyday. They were my village.

Once we left that town - my husband was an active duty marine, so we lived in North Carolina. This was a fun time for us as a young married couple, but we knew it wasn't our "home". We moved back near home into an apartment, then to our first house, and now for the last 3 years we have settled into another small Mississippi town about 30-45 minutes from family. So - while we are not drastically far away, we are no longer in what we knew as our home town. I have loved living here in this town. I have enjoyed the local restaurants, fairs, and farmer's markets. I know some back streets, and I know where my favorite shops are too.

Through all this time - I had no idea I needed a sense of home. I had no idea I missed that feeling so much. We have several friends and family that we see and our actual house does feel like home to me, but overall, something was missing.

Until last night.

Last night I felt at home. Last night I felt community. Last night - everything in the solar system and cosmic galaxies shifted and gave me the utmost of feelings - I am home.

Last night my daughter and her pee wee cheer squad participated in the homecoming parade for the high school. Last night, standing in the middle of the street with a cool fall breeze blowing - I found home again. The girls were giggling and laughing, the weather was perfect, and it just felt that all was right in the world. As we walked the route, we waved to friends and acquaintances along the way. I realized then how many people we knew, how many were saying and waving hello and taking pictures. It hit me that these were the ones my children will know, the ones that will influence their lives and have an impact on them

I saw my tribe. I saw my village. I saw my community.

I can't say I'm not excited. This was a momentous moment that I didn't know I needed. Seeing the people that will be involved in teaching, mentoring, and influencing my children as they grow was amazing. They are fantastic people. They are amazing people. They are my people.

And I am so grateful.

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.