Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Digging Deep

To my fellow anxious mamas: Being on anxiety meds doesn't make you a failure

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

eb717a11ccf7b1553cd65007f588adb2bbfec812.jpg

I remember my first panic attack like it was yesterday.

My triplets were 3 months old, and the sleep deprivation was sucking the life out of me.

I was so ashamed of myself for not loving this new season of motherhood, something I desired and longed for so deeply.

If you have experienced a panic attack before you know it can onset pretty quickly. I laid sobbing on my bathroom floor, trembling and sweating all over. Tears uncontrollably flowed down my cheeks while my husband cradled me in his arms. I could barely breathe. I felt like a failure. My postpartum anxiety and depression was crippling me. I had no clue what I was doing with my 3 tiny infants (for the record, I still don't have a clue what I am doing).

I knew I needed help. I knew I needed to make a change.

The months went by and we made the changes needed to help me through the season. I went on medication and hired a mommy helper. You do what you need to do.

I was eventually able to go off the medication I was prescribed...until my kids turned 2 and I found myself spiraling down the hole again.

I was so frustrated to see myself falling into this season of anxiety again, but I knew the steps I needed to take in order to help me face my anxiety struggles and be a good mom at the same time.

I went back on my meds.

Fast forward to January 2018. New year, new me. I felt like I had been doing so much better with my anxiety. I felt more calm and collected and hadn't had an anxiety attack in months. For now, I will spare you with the details, but I made the choice to go off my anxiety meds. In so many words, it was a bad idea. I was a loose cannon with very little patience. I felt so ashamed of myself. I realized I made a premature decision to go off my meds. I just wasn't ready.

Embarrassed. Frustrated. Disappointed.

I can see now that I'm just a mom trying to be healthy for her family. Being on anxiety meds doesn't make you a failure - it makes you a human being who is trying to be the best she can be. Being a mom is so hard. Sometimes you have to do hard things to be a better you.

We have to stick together Mamas and know we aren't alone.

Follow Me: @thefortintrio

Related video:

This post comes from the TODAY Parenting Team community, where all members are welcome to post and discuss parenting solutions. Learn more and join us! Because we're all in this together.