HACK #1: SAMPLES
These professional tools take the guess work out of shopping on line. You can match up swatches across different brands to see if colors and textures work together. Not to mention super convenient for bringing around with you while you shop at various actual “brick & mortar” stores. A much better option then lugging that comforter set around with you. Am I right?
Favorite retailers for samples:
Serena & Lily: bedding, decor pillows, rugs, drapery & upholstery
The Land of Nod: bedding, rugs, drapery, furniture finishing & upholstery
Restoration Hardware: bedding, drapery, rugs, upholstery & furniture wood
Anderson Hardwood: flooring
Joann Fabric & Craft Store: fabric & upholstery
Dwell Studio: upholstery
West Elm: rugs & furniture
Crate & Barrel: rugs & furniture
Pottery Barn: rugs & furniture wood
Loom Decor: fabrics & upholstery
Colorhouse Paint: mini paint colors
HACK #2: SHIPPING
Shipping can make or break a good deal. The product might be on sale, but the shipping could be astronomical. The good news is, as online shopping has become more and more popular, the shipping and return fees are getting more reasonable and competitive. This is good news for you the consumer.
Favorite online retailers based on their shipping and/or return policy:
Target: 1) Pay for your order with a REDcard™ - no minimum purchase required for free ship & returns. 2) Spend $25 or more using any payment method for free ship & returns.
Amazon: Free ship Prime or bundled look on Amazon if not available on favorite retail site.
Bed Bath & Beyond: Free Ship over $29 + free returns in store or ship
buybuyBABY: Free Ship over $49 + free returns in store ship
Wayfair: Free shipping
Hayneedle: Free shipping over $49
Urban Outfitters: Free Ship over $50 + free returns
Anthropologie: Free shipping for online only pieces by ordering in person at local store + Free returns
Walmart: Free Ship and on orders over $35
- Bundle items at one shop if there is minimum amount for free shipping
- Apply for Store Card or Loyalty Card with perks like additional discount & free shipping, money back, rewards:
- Shop online stores with local “brick & mortar” store for items that you are particular unsure about.
- Ask for return charges in advance of purchase.
- Many boutique shops include their shipping in their retail price, so check their policy, contact them or you can also partially go through the checkout process and see if any shipping applies.