Finally, a new, summer cookout option for the vegan or vegetarian in your family! These vegan carrot dogs are really, really easy to make – you just marinate the carrots, roast them, and then pop them into a healthy hot dog bun and top with desired toppings!
Vegan Carrot Dogs
- Yield: 4 carrots
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- 4 thick carrots
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup spiralized white or red onion
- salt and pepper
- hot dog bun
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the carrots. For true hot dog resemblance, when peeling, round the edges (like a hot dog.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the liquid smoke, soy sauce, maple syrup, onion and garlic powder. Place the carrots in a shallow baking dish and pour over the liquid mixture. If you have the time, cover and let them marinate for at least 2 hours. If not, that’s okay, just roll the carrots around in the mixture, using your fingertips to massage the marinade into the carrots. When the carrots are coated in the mixture, season with pepper and transfer to the baking sheet. Roast for 35 minutes or until fork tender. Every five minutes, brush the carrots with the remaining marinade mixture.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the onion and cook for 5-10 minutes or until mostly wilted and starting to brown. Season with salt and pepper. If needed, add water or vegetable broth to the pan to keep the onions from sticking to the pan.
- Place a carrot dog in a hot dug bun and top with onions, and drizzle with mustard and ketchup.