These sweet and savory pan roasted brussels sprouts are definitely NOT the sprouts you heard about as a kid from the previous generations who had to eat them plain, boiled and waterlogged with maybe just a pinch of salt. These sprouts are dreamy and packed with a flavor profile that will have you asking for a second helping. A quick and easy dish containing sweet potatoes, shallots, Honeycrisp apples, pecans and Italian sausage.
Sweet & Savory Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pecans, Apples, Sweet Potatoes & Sausage
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking Time: 25 min
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- ½ lb. ground mild chicken Italian sausage
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- ½ tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 dz. brussels sprouts, stems removed & halved
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored and diced
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- finely grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan.
- Add the chicken Italian sausage, breaking it into smaller pieces while cooking, and cook until browned. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to stove over medium-high heat, add 2 Tablespoons butter, salt and pepper.
- Add shallot and balsamic vinegar. Cook until shallots are just beginning to brown and are slightly caramelized.
- Add brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes and 2 Tablespoons butter. Cook about 10-12 minutes until brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes begin to brown on edges and become tender.
- Once the brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are mostly cooked, return sausage to pan and add diced apple, chopped pecans, and remaining 2 Tbs butter.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, just until sausage is heated through and apples are slightly softened.
- Serve and top with finely grated parmesan cheese.