A hearty, weeknight meal without being super heavy!
Slow Cooker Asian Beef Stew with Bok Choy and Carrots
- 3 lbs. stew beef (or chuck roast)
- ⅓ cup fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 head of bok choy, roughly chopped (discard the larger white ends)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Brown rice or noodles for serving
- Combine everything in the slow cooker up until (and including) the soy sauce. Leave the bok choy and scallions out.
- Heat the mixture on high in the slow cooker for about 4 hours or until the beef is tender. (You can also do 6-8 hours on low, depending on how hot your slow cooker is)
- Stir in the bok choy and scallions and cook on low for about 15 minutes until everything is hot all the way through. You want the bok choy still a little crunchy to give the stew some texture
- Serve over brown rice or noodles.
Note: Don't add any additional salt to this recipe! Soy sauce and beef broth give this dish enough salt as it is.
This recipe originally appeared on Christen in the Kitchen.