Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Mexican Wedding Cookies

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Melt in you mouth Mexican Wedding Cookies are a family favorite made just during the holiday season!

Mexican Wedding Cookies

• Servings: 2 ½ dozen
  • Prep Time: 10 min
  • Cooking Time: 20 min

Ingredients

• 1 cup butter, unsalted and softened
  • ¼ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup nuts (walnuts or pecans), chopped
  • 1½ cups additional powder sugar for coating cookies, sifted

Preparation

1. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
  3. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until creamy. Add vanilla and flour. Stir in nuts.
  4. With a small cookie scoop, place round cookies on prepared baking sheets.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool for about five minutes. When you can handle with your fingers, roll each cookie in powdered sugar.

Recipe Tags

You may know these cookies as Snowballs, Russian Tea Cakes, Sand Tarts, but the Latin culture always refers these cookies as Mexican Wedding Cookies. These baked goods were originally served as wedding favors. Each cookie is wrapped in tulle and given to guests that attended the wedding.

I love the simplicity of the gift and also the ingredients in this recipe; flour, butter, sugar, vanilla and nuts.

Although the tradition of serving these cookies for weddings is no longer popular, my family still bakes these once a year for Christmas.

You can never bake enough of these cookies. They’re always first to be eaten and there has been many years that I make multiple batches to enjoy for several weeks! I guess we should add these to our baking list for year-round treats!

ffde7e0962f939d42c5e56910c8aade0ff3677cb

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!