Parents, you’ve got questions, we’ve got answers.

Or just as likely, we’ve got questions and you’ve got answers.

Challenge: Family Favorites

Crock Pot Italian Style Pot Roast

Vote up!
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Email this article

Growing up Sundays meant surrounding yourself with family and friends, giving thanks and gathering around the most amazing fork-tender pot roast and vegetables.

Crock Pot Italian Style Pot Roast

Ingredients

• 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
  • 1 pound baby carrots
  • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-4 lbs)
  • 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 3 cups beef stock, low sodium
  • 1 Tbl garlic, minced
  • 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
  • 1 ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 6-8 medium sized red potatoes
  • 10 Fresh basil leaves

Preparation

1. Layer onions, garlic and carrots on the bottom of your 5qrt crock pot bowl.
  2. Season roast with salt and pepper and place on top of vegetables in cooker.
  3. Place the potatoes around the roast; cut in half if need be. *If cutting in half face the cut half down.
  4. In a bowl mix together the beef stock, basil, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and half of the crushed tomatoes.
  5. Pour the mixture over top the roast.
  6. Take the remaining crushed tomatoes and spread out on top of the roast.
  7. Place the fresh basil leaves in the crushed tomatoes.
  8. Cover and cook on LOW 9-10 hours.
  9. When done, the roast will just fall apart so it’s best to use 2 large slotted serving spoon or spatulas to remove.
  10. Allow to rest for 5 minutes on a serving platter.
  11. Remove the potatoes and carrots to the platter.
  12. Strain the broth and reserve for another recipe.

Recipe Tags

For me growing up Sundays were typically a huge pot roast dinner. Coming from a big family, it was really difficult at times growing up as poor as we did. We didn't have many 'things' but Mom and Dad always made sure we had good food in our bellies. They taught us how to make something amazing out of the bare necessities. We learned that good food doesn't have to be complex or require a lot of ingredients; it just needs to be made with love and respect.

11b2b567bf74ec869b14bc420aca7dbb958e661e.jpg

This roast Dad made every Sunday. It was inexpensive and fed a huge family plus lots of Sunday visitors. Every time I make this recipe I get the biggest smile on my face as this recipe is home to me. It's comforting and a great big hug for your tummy!

2ce655913a904895d13229b2d58bec3e53aa1ba1.jpg

This recipe reminds me a lot of family - honest, simple and amazing.

88114f7040e8f3d77387017c120a0326db5ac407.jpg

This post comes from the TODAY Food Club community, where anyone can write posts, ask questions and share advice. Learn more and join us!