The orzo salad is loaded with fresh herbs, crunchy walnuts, and sweet cherry tomatoes. The shrimp are crispy with a burst of freshness thanks to herbs. This 30 minute meal is perfect for a busy weekday dinner.
Crispy Herb Shrimp w/ Tomato & Orzo Salad
- Yield: 3 servings
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- 3 large shrimp, cleaned and shells removed
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons each fresh parsley, mint, & basil, chopped
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten w/ 1 tablespoon of water
- 2-3 cups cooked orzo
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted & chopped
- 1 serano chile, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of ½ a lemon
- Juice of half and lemon
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Couple cracks of fresh pepper
- boil the orzo
- prep all ingredients for the orzo salad
- cook the shrimp
Cook the orzo ahead of time, drain and rinse under cold water for a few minutes. For the salad, add the first 5 ingredients a large bowl and then add the reaming ingredients, mix well. Check for seasoning, you will probably need more lemon juice and salt. Salad can be made ahead of time.
Season the shrimp with 1 teaspoon of salt and a couple cracks of pepper. Add the panko breadcrumbs to a bowl and season them with 1 teaspoon of salt, a couple cracks of pepper, and the parsley and basil. Dredge the shrimp in the flour and shake off any excess. Next place the shrimp in the eggs and shake off any excess. Lastly, dredge the shrimp the seasoned panko mixture, make sure it is well coated and move to a plate. Pre-heat a non-stick pan over medium heat with 2 tablespoon of oil for 3 minutes. Cook the shrimp for 3-4 minutes on each side and remove from heat.
Plate the shrimp with the orzo salad and garnish with some more fresh herbs. Enjoy!