This is my great grandmothers recipe. It has been passed down through the generations and to get the recipe you have to be married into the family.
Coco's Mac and CheesePrep Time: 30 min Cooking Time: 30 min
- 4 Tbs butter
- 4 Tbs flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 16 ounce of extra sharp cheddar cheese (hand grated)
- 16 ounce macaroni noodles
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 sleeves of ritz crackers
- stick of butter
- melt 4 tbsp of butter in medium size pan
- add flour to melted butter and mix until smooth
- remove from heat and slowly stir in the milk.
- place back on burner on medium heat and heat until it thickens
- add cheese to mixture and stir until all the cheese has melted
- While making the cheese sauce, boil the noodles for 8 minutes, drain, and set aside
- Add the drained noodles to the cheese sauce and mix well
- Pour the Mac and Cheese into a 9x13 pan
- crush ritz crackers in a gallon size ziploc bag
- Melt a stick of butter and mix it with the crushed ritz crackers.
- Evenly spread the ritz crackers on the top of the Mac and Cheese
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
This recipe is a family favorite and is served at every family get together. My great grandmother, Coco, used to make this and passed the recipe down through the generations. My mom wouldn't give us the recipe until we (Me, my brother, and my sister) were adults and my wife and sister in law couldn't get the recipe until they were married into the family. My boys love eating it to so one day they will be the fifth generation to have this recipe.
This is delicious right out of the oven but I also love to eat it as a leftover right out of the microwave.
You can cut this recipe in half but you are going to regret not having more to eat.