The Big Game comes with big appetites. Rooting for your favorite team, yelling at the officials, fist bumping a great play---it all makes a football fan downright hungry. So let me help by sharing a recipe that has always been a crowd pleaser, especially for a day as big as Super Bowl Sunday.
Caramelized Ham and & Swiss Baked Buns
- 1 package (12 rolls) Hawaiian sweet rolls
- ½ cup horseradish sauce (not straight horseradish)
- 12 slices Black Forest or deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, halved
- ½ cup butter (for the glaze)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion (for the glaze)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (for the glaze)
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (for the glaze)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, optional (for the glaze)
- 1-½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (for the glaze)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (for the glaze)
- Slice each bun in half, or take a serrated knife and cut the entire loaf of Hawaiian rolls horizontally.
- Lay bottom half in a 9-inch square pan.
- Spread roll bottoms with horseradish sauce.
- Layer with ham and cheese.
- Replace tops.
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, cooking and stirring for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add brown sugar, mustard, poppy seeds, Worcestershire sauce and garlic powder, mixing until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over rolls.
- Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees covered, for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 8-10 minutes longer or until golden brown on top.
- Serves 12.