By caramelizing the bananas and browning the butter in this recipe, the banana bread ends up tasting sinful! Almost as if you added rum or peanut butter. It has a caramely, slightly nutty flavor, and it's perfectly moist and plain old delicious.
Brown Butter Caramelized Banana Bread
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel bananas, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with desired amounts of honey and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place in oven, and cook for 20 minutes, until bananas begin to caramelize. Remove and set aside to let cool.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- While bananas are roasting, melt butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat, until it begins to brown and let off a nutty aroma. Remove from heat, and set aside to let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- In a larger bowl, add the bananas and mash. Stir in the butter, vanilla, sour cream, brown sugar and eggs, and combine until just smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into greased bread pan, and bake for one hour.
This is the perfect thing to bake on a snowy weekend morning...