Brisket! With a secret ingredient!
- 3-4 lb (first cut) trimmed brisket
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sweet yellow onions, sliced in rounds
- 1 ½ cups fresh brewed strong coffee
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- 3-4 tablespoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 8 mini potatoes
- (See video below for a full tutorial)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season brisket by patting and rubbing Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides of brisket.
- Sprinkle both sides with garlic powder and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil into Dutch Oven, roasting pan or large oven safe skillet.
- On high heat, brown brisket on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove brisket.
- Reduce heat to medium high and cook onions with drippings until just softened, about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wisk together coffee and ketchup.
- Remove the onions or move them to one side of the pan.
- Return the brisket to the Dutch oven fat side up and arrange the onions over the brisket.
- Add carrots and mini potatoes.
- Pour the coffee & ketchup mixture over the brisket.
- Cook for 2 ½ hours or until tender, basting occasionally.
- Slice the brisket and smother it with the onions, carrots, potatoes and gravy.