As much as I cook (and pretty much live at the grocery store), sometimes it’s nice to have some simple dinners that I can count on that don’t require a lot of ingredients – in other words – budget friendly meals. As you all know, I would love to be a full time blogger, but I’m an registered nurse and we need the benefits (and money). We have two teenagers; one about to go to college and one in high school.
At the same time, I’m not a big fan of boring or plain. I need variety and spice in my foodie life! Although I love to spend forever in the kitchen playing and prepping (yes, I love chopping; it’s therapeutic for me), sometimes after a long day of work I need something a little easier.
I made this entire meal for under $20.00. I find myself going to the grocery store literally almost daily because I have a husband and two teenagers that have appetites that cannot be reigned in. I got my ingredients at Wal-Mart, which made it very possible, which included Kraft Ranch Dressing (it was $1.98!). Most of us experience how tight it is financially around the 1st and 15th of every month, and having delicious but inexpensive meals in the dinner rotation helps.
These are my BBQ Ranch Meatball Subs. I added an unexpected element; spinach mayo. I know you’re wondering if this is good or not – but let me just tell you – it works! The bread with the spinach mayo alone was luscious. I probably ate an entire roll using it as a dip while making these. Couldn’t help it.
My husband and I are always complaining about how much food costs. Our grocery bill is absolutely ridiculous. I know we have two teenagers, but still – it’s insane!! This little project was eye opening – We spent under $20.00 and got an entire dinner for all of us.
- 1 lb. ground round
- 1 tsp salt 1 tsp pepper
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp Kraft Mayo, divided
- 1/2 cup and 1 tbsp Kraft Barbecue Sauce, divided
- 1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup Kraft Ranch Dressing
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 6 slices Kraft Natural Provolone Cheese Slice
- 1 package sub rolls
- Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- For the meatballs, mix the ground round, 2 tbsp of mayo, 1 tbsp of BBQ sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl thoroughly. Roll into golf ball size meatballs, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the spinach mayo; combine the spinach and 1 cup of mayo, cover and refrigerate.
- Now for the BBQ Ranch, combine the ranch dressing and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce, cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the meatballs. Brown for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook until done; about 7-10 minutes.
- Spread each sub roll (both sides) with spinach mayo and bake for 4-5 minutes, until a little bubbly. Remove and cover with foil to keep them warm.
- When meatballs are done, turn the heat off and place cheese slices over meatballs. Cover until melted.
- To assemble, place meatballs on the bottom of sub rolls using a spatula and drizzle with Ranch BBQ sauce.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.